How to successfully bring your winter wardrobe up to date
It doesn’t take too long for the novelties of winter dressing to start wearing off. At the beginning of October everyone starts to get excited about the sumptuous new season trends that we’ll all be rocking and the fantastically on-trend coats that will be the star of our winter wardrobes.
But by the time Christmas and the New Year have come and gone the cold weather and relentless grey skies begin to get a little boring and we start to long for the more pleasing colour palette of a spring wardrobe.
The thing about this time of year is that you can’t just step from one season to the next; there’s that tricky in-between time where it’s too cold to go without a coat but too warm to be wearing your mohair longline trench any longer.
Getting it right in those tricky not-winter-not-quite-spring months is a real sartorial conundrum but it doesn’t have to be! We’ve put together a couple of tips to help you take your wardrobe effortlessly from winter layers to carefree spring looks in an instant. And don’t worry; you don’t have to run out and invest in a completely new wardrobe; it’s all about using the things that you already own.
- The Perfect Jacket – Whether you’re a fan of the classic leather biker or prefer a cool urban bomber style the perfect jacket is an absolute essential for trans-seasonal dressing. If the weather can’t make up its mind then a jacket will solve all sartorial woes. This season we’re leaning towards sophisticated minimalism so a lightweight bomber will be the perfect go-to option; team with a pair of Bermuda shorts for a really directional approach to dressing.
- Layers – The worst thing about this time of year is that one minute it’s Baltic and the next it’s positively toasty. To avoid getting in one of those dreaded hot flushes every time you enter a building it’s all about the fine balance of layers. The good thing about putting together layered ensembles is that they look great but they’re also amazing for adjusting your body temperature, when things heat up just take off another layer. Camisoles and thin tees are perfect items for layering up looks.
- The Ankle Boot – The ankle boot is a winter staple but don’t put them into hibernation just yet. Team ankle boots with a pair of cropped trousers or a midi-skirt and forego the tights for a super cool look that won’t leave you too frosty. A heeled pair is a great option and will help any look to transition seamlessly from day to evening.
- Sports Lux Socks – Whoever said that socks and sandals should never be seen obviously wasn’t talking about SS14. Wear your favourite pair of heeled sandals with a super laid back pair of sports socks for a fashion forward look and avoid getting cold feet! Plus it means that you get to get your favourite heels out of the closet even earlier.
- Skirts – SS14 is all about one key item; the skirt which is great news for you. A longline or midi skirt is a perfect way to introduce a more summery element into your repertoire without going all out. Whether you opt for full neoprene skirts or more contemporary asymmetric styles you simply can’t go wrong.
- New Season Colours – An easy way to take your cold weather outfits into the new season is by adding a little colour. Wintery palates tend to consist of a lot of dark muted tones. Brighten up any look with some lighter shades such as nudes, pinks and peaches which all work with greys and blacks so won’t look out of place!
- Make-up Update – as with introducing more seasonal colours to your wardrobe do the same with your make-up. Give your cosmetics a new season update and move away from dark plumb and red lips and opt for more rosy or tangerine hues to brighten up any look. A flushed cheek will also lend your face a much more warm weather look.
- The Bag – One trick that any seasoned Fashionista will be well aware of is the wonders of a decent size bag. When the weather starts to change having a spacious carryall is great for storing extra layers in as well as an umbrella for all of those unexpected downfalls, so if you can it’s well worth investing in timeless designer bags that won’t date.
- Savvy Accessorising – Updating your jewellery box is a relatively cheap way to update a look without really breaking the bank. An eye-catching necklace will transform any tried and tested outfit.
- Statement Sweaters – Invest in a to-die-for statement sweater for this time of year, great for layering over a collared shirt and under a leather jacket and still looks amazing on its own too.
What are your rules for surviving the tricky trans-seasonal times? Or do you have all year-round staples?
Featured Content for Gillian Lee Rose, written by Lucinda Bounsall, fashion writer at Farfetch.